Georgia Sports Blog FanShop

October 7, 2005

Inside Scoop on Tech's Latest Shattering Defeat

By SaxonDawg

Two facts that help to explain the end of Tech's come-from-ahead loss against powerful NC State and Don Vito Amato:

1. Why was the last time out used? My source says that Chan called it to remind Reggie about the number of downs so there would be no more time management snafus.

2. The UnCatch - What happened here was that during the timeout, while Chan was reviewing the number of downs one more time, Calvin Johnson was asking how many yards he had so far. "I'm the best receiver in America, you know," he said to P. J. Daniels. When he was told he had just over 100, he said, "I need me a The Catch. I GOT to get me a The Catch. I'm the best receiver in America, you know." So when Reggie came back to the huddle, Calvin told him to throw the ball high and outside. "I'll flip all around in the air and make me a The Catch," said Calvin. "I'm the . . ."

"We know," chan-ted the rest of the offense.

"We can make it even better," said an N. C. State linebacker who had wandered into the huddle. "When you're just about to haul in your The Catch, bounce it to me. I'll bounce it back. It'll be all over ESPN Sportscenter."

"Awesome," grinned Calvin, a construction management major.

The rest is history.

By SaxonDawg

5 comments:

Holla said...

You know, as a grad student in philosophy I know all to well that taking pleasure in someone else's suffering is about the worst vice there is, but so help me, Aristotle, that was funny!

I just love seeing those guys lose. On that slant I was screaming "Run Lindsay!" at the television.

Worrier said...

I don't know why, maybe it goes back to the days I was at UT when we played Ga Tech every year (early 80's) and they beat us a couple of times. We always played down (although we weren't very good those years) and then they go win a NC in the early 90's not playing anyone, but I was laughing when that receiver bounced the ball off his hands into the hands of the NC State defender. Woke my wife up.

Xon's probably right on the "worse vice" thing but still it was funny. And I don't like pretenders being ranked. Don't want to see other pretenders (eg. FSU) say when the beat Ga Tech "we beat a ranked team".

Unknown said...

"If you can't delight in the misery of others, then you don't deserve to be a college football fan." -- Plato

Nathan said...

Now I know how the late Jim Donnan years felt for UGA fans, when you couldn't buy a break or beat GT.

Last night is probably the worst way possible to lose a game, I can't imagine a worse scenario.

Unknown said...

Last night was pretty harsh, but I can tell you a worse scenario. At least you got beat on the field and not by a ref in that exact situation.

'99 vs. GT was the all time worst.

 
Copyright 2009 Georgia Sports Blog. Powered by Blogger Blogger Templates create by Deluxe Templates. WP by Masterplan