Image: Jim Hipple
Over the past week or so, ESPN has been releasing its Top 119 Programs from the past 10 years (1997-2006). Fifteen of ESPN's college football "experts" and analysts ranked all 119 Division I-A programs, taking into account:
Attendance and support
I initially wanted to use this space to argue that we’ve passed Tennessee (#10 on the list), and I still think that we have. If they were limiting the discussion to the past 5 or 7 years, I definitely believe that we’ve passed the Vols. But the National Title carries so much weight that over a 10 year horizon, I can see listing them above us.
Why should UGA be ranked so high? Our overall resume:
- Georgia’s 96 overall wins during that period is tied with Michigan and Florida State for 3rd in among BCS conference members. UGA has only two fewer wins than Texas who leads all BCS schools with 98 victories since '97.
- Two conference championships in the nation’s toughest league ties UGA for #1 in SEC titles over that period.
- Georgia's 3 SEC Championship game appearances is tied for 2nd in the SEC since '97.
- Five seasons with 10 wins or more during the period.
- The most bowl wins over the past 10 years in the nation (8-2 record)
-- SEC Teams Ranked by Wins since '97 - GSB