Georgia Sports Blog FanShop

August 7, 2008

Lunch Time Dawgly Headlines


Image: Georgiadogs.com

Let me preface this by saying, has anyone purchased a copy of the SI with the Bulldogs on the cover? I couldn't find one yesterday, and IronChefTurducken had the same experience in Athens. Are they out or are they sold out?

Headlines
  • More gushing praise for AJ Green. He seems like a kid that would really be susceptible to having a big head, but then you look at how he handled his recruitment. No "hat dance press conference" and no wishy washy stuff. Despite local media manufactured rumors out of the low country, he stuck by his early commitment and is now working for a starting job. Hopefully that attitude holds.

  • Georgia's Overlooked Defensive Unit - I first read this headline and thought? Overlooked...that's not right. Then I went back and looked at a pre-season video I'm working on. Hmmmmm.....yeah.....it's mostly offensive highlights. So fair point.

  • Catching up with Demiko Goodman. I was interested to see this profile piece on him. Each year it seems like someone takes a big step out of the shadows and into Prime Time for UGA. Marcus Howard in 2007 is a great example. When Goodman has played, he has played very well. The problem has been getting / keeping him healthy.

  • Just what we're looking for? A few days ago, I said, "I'd like to see an update on Carlton Thomas' progress so far." Ask and ye shall receive. DawgPost.com has an update on Thomas.

  • I also wondered aloud if Justin "Bean" Anderson would get / stay motivated enough to become the dominating force that his physical tools would suggest is possible. Well...either Tanner Strickland is coming on fast or Bean is keeping it lazy because Tanner is gaining on him.
Lastly, the long lost Red & Black March has now been arranged for a brass band. The Athens Brass Choir put together a new arrangement for the 90+ year old lost "fight song." It's still too circus-ish, but it's come a long way from "no human alive has played it before" to this. The Anti-Orange Page has the download. Still needs to be more angry and bada$$.

PWD

22 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't want to poo poo on any Georgia fight song, but I honestly felt like I was listening to an old Disney cartoon.

Anonymous said...

I think they go on sale tomorrow at Borders in Athens

Anonymous said...

SI's normally take a while to hit the newsstands. I got mine in the mail yesterday, but I'm a long time subscriber and always get them on Wednesday or Thursday. It usually takes a few days, and even a week for the typical CVS or Walmart section to get them.

If you can find an old-fashioned newsstand or just go to a Border's or Barnes & Noble, you might get them a little earlier.

ChiliDawg said...

I am in Athens and went to Barnes and Noble at lunch today. She said the term "hits newsstands on __ date" is relative to where you live. If you live in NY or LA, you get them on the scheduled date. The publisher ships the copies to huge warehouses in those locations, so they are the first to get the new magazine, and on time. From there, UPS ships out standard ground to everywhere else, so you get it whenever UPS rolls into town. Barnes and Noble told me Athens would have them, more than likely, in the early afternoon. She also said they were getting more copies of the UGA cover than anywhere else in the country since we are actually in Athens.

ChiliDawg said...

I mean to say that Athens would have them on Friday. Sorry for leaving that out

Anonymous said...

I'm in the Minneapolis airport right now, and my brother is in the Chicago airport. The edition is available, but both locations have Ohio State on the cover, so it must be a regional thing.

ChiliDawg said...

As far as what team is on the cover, yes it is regional.

Anonymous said...

What's the beef with the Red & Black, Paul?

Mike said...

I've been to Barnes and Noble and Borders twice here in Atlanta over the last 2 days and still no dice. Hopefully tomorrow...

Anonymous said...

In Colorado and I got Mizzou on the cover. (Subscriber)

Gotta call my nephew to get me a UGA cover!

Anonymous said...

As a dyed in the wool Newnan fan, I have been waiting on Miko Goodman to appear for almost 8 years. In that time he has mixed a couple of almost super-human flashes with weeks of not showing up.
I am trying not to slam him, but he is close to being a big-time bust. It may be that he was the third best receiver on his high school team. He has all the speed in the world, but something must be missing in his game.
Great kid from a great family and very intelligent. It is time for Miko to show up.

Unknown said...

The Red and Black question above:

My comment wasn't fair to the guys that run the Sanford Knows Best blog I linked to. I removed that comment from the original post because it implied that I had a beef or compliant with them specifically.

That wouldn't be the case.

Unknown said...

The new recording of "Red and Black March" does sound dated. It does have the same feel (and this is the only comparison whatsoever to Ohio State) to Ohio State's "Script Ohio." Both sound militaristic in that regard.

Anonymous said...

Sounds great to me. Love marches and it is ok. Not as good as Script Ohio, but good.

Anonymous said...

Hey, y'all; I'm the director of the group that recorded the march (and the one who arranged it for the group). It's true that this march sounds different to us (since we're used to "Glory" and "Hail"), but I think you'll find that, if you listen to this more than once, the trio (i.e., the last section) melody is going to stick in your mind more than you'd expect. So, give it a second listen, if you can; you might be surprised how well it stays with you.

Anonymous said...

Call Monty Python.

Tell 'em we want our song back.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49c-_YOkmMU

- Dawg N Suds

Unknown said...

Anon 10:41,

You guys did great work on it.

It just needs more cow bell. ;-)

Anonymous said...

You're actually right. The last bit, with the added low brass, is quite good. I could live without the first part, but that last part isn't bad at all.

Anonymous said...

Disney or an old circus tune. I expect Bello to show up with cone of death motorcyle act.

SlawDawg said...

Honestly, I think the first part of the RBM (Red and Black March) is unique. We will all grow to love it as soon as you-Know-who dances a riverdance or something to it. GATA!

Brandon said...

for the SI cover, if you want a print you could frame, SI sells them online.

http://tinyurl.com/5ulwug

Anonymous said...

I got my eagerly anicipated SI yesterday..with Ohio State on the cover! Arrgh. I called my sister in Athens to pick me up a bulldog issue.

 
Copyright 2009 Georgia Sports Blog. Powered by Blogger Blogger Templates create by Deluxe Templates. WP by Masterplan