For SEC teams, however, the West should have a different connotation. It has been a place of ambush and scalping. Since the conference went to twelve teams in 1992, the SEC has a record of 3-7 in Pac-10 stadiums. Here are the numbers:
- 1994 - Tennessee loses at UCLA
- 1997 - Tennessee wins at UCLA
- 2000 - Alabama loses at UCLA
- 2002 - Auburn loses at (5) Southern Cal, Mississippi State loses at Oregon
- 2003 - LSU wins at Arizona
- 2005 - LSU wins at (15) Arizona State, Arkansas loses at (1) Southern Cal
- 2007 - Tennessee loses at (12) California
- 2008 - Tennessee loses at UCLA
There all all sorts of possible explanations, but the one that's often brought up is the time change. Coach Richt doesn't think there's anything to this. The Dawgs are leaving on Friday instead of flying out Thursday for a brief acclimation period. Ron Courson agrees after talking to teams that headed into the desert. To us, it should feel like a night game, playing at eight eastern.
Time change or not, I think we have too many rifles and smallpox infested blankets for the natives to survive. Plus, Richt still has that freakish record at opponent's home stadiums. After last week, he's 26-4 on the road.