Georgia Sports Blog FanShop

August 19, 2009

Fear the Grayhound

The Wildcat or Wild Dawg name is so 2007. When we put Logan Gray in at QB, I'm ditching the Wild_____ naming system and calling it "The Grayhound."

Speaking of which, UGASports.com has an premium content interview with Bobo where he expresses confidence in the back-up signal caller. One of the interesting things to watch during the Ok State game will be the frequency (if at all) that we put Gray in at QB. If it were me, I'd put Samuel in at RB with Branden Smith in motion from WR (ala Felix Jones when Arkansas ran the Wildcat in '07).

I did a lot of bitching and moaning about Gray on kickoff coverage last season (a decision I still can't fathom...although it certainly wasn't his fault). But given the statisics coming out of each scrimmage regarding Gray's ability to move the team offensively, I'm really getting intrigued by his possibilities.

Through the first two scrimmages he was a combined 12-20 for 184 yards and two TDs passing. Not too shabby regardless of which defensive unit he was going against.

Separately, ESPN's Chris Low ranked the SEC's QBs, and he goes with the Joe Cox/Logan Gray combo at #5. Seriously? I'll spot you Jefferson at LSU, but Ryan Mallett? As a freshman at Michigan, Mallett went 61-141 (43% completion) for 892 yards, while throwing 7 TDs and 5 INTs. I asked Michigan blogger Brian Cook for a review of Mallett, and he responded:

"Well... [Mallett] is a huge guy with a cannon arm who appears to be on LSD*. He was really, really terrible in his 25% of a season as the starter at Michigan. His season was best summarized by the Wisconsin game, which he played most of because Chad Henne had separated his shoulder. During that game he picked up a first down by pitching it backwards to a stunned Carson Butler -- who had been beaten, naturally, in pass protection.

That was sort of the summary of the guy: he had no idea what was a good idea. A lot of freshmen have a similar thing, sure, but he was like an *uber*-freshman.

He retains the stuff -- enormity, huge arm -- that made him the #2 QB recruit in his class, but I think he'll be really erratic his first year. He'll try to make every ridiculous play, make some of them, and see some of them returned for touchdowns."

It could easily be argued that Michigan fans aren't lacking in bias for this topic, but still. Regardless, I digress. Below are some other recent articles about The Grayhound.

See Also
-- Of hamstrings, QBs and more - AJC
-- Georgia's Gray is an intriguing option - ESPN.com
-- Everybody loves a solid #2 - ABH
-- Georgia Bulldogs Season Tickets Football - GSB

PWD

*Note: Hyperbole and sarcasm was intended. Not an actual allegation of drug use.

27 comments:

Anonymous said...

That might be based more on Petrino's coaching abilities with QB's than Ryan Mallet.

He has a really good track record. Heck before Petrino jumpjacked the Falcons - a lot of people believed Brian Brohm was going to be the #1 pick in the NFL Draft.

Unknown said...

Anon - why don't you list the big wins of Petrino as a HC against BCS teams with more than 8 wins that year.

I'll start you off with the grossly overrated Rutgers and WVU teams in '06.

Now...your turn.

When you get done, let me know where the idea that he's a great coach comes from.

PWD

Cooler Czar said...

Give 'em hell, PWD.

Not that it's not an excellent point.

Anonymous said...

Love the name. I really didn't think much of the "wild" whatever names because they imply a running back who can occasionally pass playing qb rather than a true dual threat qb as Logan is. Don't really know whether to be more excited about Logan or Murray for next year.

Anonymous said...

CMR has done awesome things with dual-threat QBs like Ward and Shockley.

THough I'm solidly behind Cox, I'll admit that I've always been intrigued by the possibilities that Gray presents. I would be more excited about this year, honestly, if Grey were our starter.

Andy said...

The Grayhound. I like it. Next stop: Stillwater.

Unknown said...

"Grayhound" very clever. Made me chuckle.

I'm going with "Wolverine" since Logan was Wolverine's name and I like the slashing speed image it evokes.

Anonymous said...

Ok don't get too excited, remember this is our coaching staff we are talking about. When I see Logan in the game I will believe it. I do not think he gets in unless Joe can not move the ball. How many times did Cox get in games last year? He attempted 15 passes in 3 games. So much for building experience for the following year.

Tommy said...

"Everyone loves a solid #2." Tell me about it. Had a stomach virus earlier this month and man was I glad to ... oh, wait, I see what you did there.

I'm intrigued by what we could do with Gray behind center, but wary. When Shock spelled Greene, the results were rarely compelling and sometimes disastrous (see Gus Scott, Jacksonville '02). To what extent that was a function of Shockley pressing or rest of the offense adjusting to a different package probably depends on the play. Maybe Bobo can manage around that better than Richt/Callaway. Still, lot of ifs and maybes there.

Crane said...

This has a better ring than "the Logan Gray Package"

Hobnail_Boot said...

Here, I'll rank the SEC quarterbacks as we know them:

1. Tebow
2. Snead
.
.
.
12. Crompton

Anyone who tries to tell you they know how to fill in 3-11 is kidding themselves.

Anonymous said...

PWD - a bit testy about my observation for why Low rated Mallett higher than Joe Cox.

I did not say that I agreed with it. I think Cox is being severly underestimated. He was an Elite 11 QB after all. Its just that he takes over after a guy who ended up the #1 pick.

Petrino is often named by more well respected football minds than yours as a great offensive minded football coach. Tom Coughlin said he is the best play caller he has ever been around.

His offense put up lots of yards and lots of points - usually with a QB who throws for lots of td's and a lot of yards.

Will said...

The "grayhound" idea is brilliant. We need to get on it now so that you can trademark that somofabit before next season, when it will be rolling full steam.

That'll pay for hosting for a while, right?

Anonymous said...

How many realize this is a panic move?

Georgia's coaching staff is just now coming to grips with the fact that this year's QB lacks the arm strength to run last year's offense.

Anonymous said...

Didnt a commenter suggest "Grayhound"?

No hat tip? weeeeeeak.


And, I think you need to chill out on the playstation (unless of course your comment about Branden Smith, Logan Gray, etc was talking about 2 yrs down the road...).

RedCrake said...

Was Meyer playing Tebow when Leak (a proven starter by the way) was a senior a panic move?

Not comparing Gray to Tebow...just saying that when coaches have a player with.a different skill set than their starter and they think it can help them win, that person will and should play.

Anonymous said...

So what's the story on Ben Jones? I sure hope Chris Burnette is ready to debut . . .

RedCrake said...

David Hale reporting that its just a sprained ankle. Xrays negative. Listed as day to day.

Sam said...

1) Louisville having no defense might be part of the issue with losing games.
2) I think having the very inexperienced duo of Cox/Gray at #5 says a lot about the lack of QB talent in the conference to me. Heck the Brantley kid at UF might be the 3rd best QB.
3) I suspect Mallett will be just fine. My guess is that he just pressed too hard when he played wanting to prove himself. Stafford did at times (heck, he still seemed to press his second and even third year). Shockley fell into that trap during Greene's last year as well. It seemed like every time he got on the field he thought he needed to do something big. Shockley was much better when he had the job, knew he was the guy and knew even if the team did not move the ball that he would be back on the next series.

BTW, where is Shockley--I barely follow that "other" football.

Anonymous said...

Panic Move??? Not enough arm strength???

I don't watch practice nor do I pretend to act like I do. But I've see countless reports of folks who have watch Cox in action during practice ...and they say his arm strength is close to David Greene. JMO Arm strength is highly overrated. Give me a Qb like Ken dorsey, surround him with playmakers and good OL ... With the right defense, you'll win 90% of more of your games in college football.

Unknown said...

If you want to call a package the "Wolverine," at least do it for the right reason: to commemorate a bunch of ragtag teenagers fighting Communist invaders. Don't do it for the comic book character. He gets way too much love as it is.

I think the Greene/Shockley situation is enough evidence that Gray will get significant playing time. And I'll wager by mid-season, fans will hate the Cox/Gray situation just as much as they did Greene/Shockley.

Anonymous said...

Great "Red Dawn" reference Dante. Fifteen cocktails to you sir.

Paul said...

Shockley is still with Atlanta. I think he's #3 on the depth chart.

PTC DAWG said...

It's obvious to this "fan" why CMR played Shockley while Greene was at UGA. It was said that if not for the broken foot early in his career, Shockley was very close to taking over the starting job. Shockley played one full year, we won every game he started. I'm not sure you can do much better.

If CMR thinks he needs to play 2 QB's, why should I be bothered by it?

Smitty said...

We lost to Auburn and West Virginia and JD Stokely started both of those. Unfortunetly the defense let us down in those.

sUGArdaddy said...

I hated the Greene/Shockley thing, too, and said it wouldn't/couldn't work. I threw my hat in disgust when DJ threw the pick six vs. Fla. after Greenie just led us to a TD.

But I loved 13-1 and figured out right then and there in that Superdome that Mark Richt knows way more about football and QBs then I do.

Anonymous said...

Word around the practices is that Branden Smith is getting some reps in the Wildcat formation.

I am interested to see if Richt will bring this out against OSU.

 
Copyright 2009 Georgia Sports Blog. Powered by Blogger Blogger Templates create by Deluxe Templates. WP by Masterplan