Georgia Sports Blog FanShop

November 30, 2009

Bowl Projections for UGA

As of tonight, Chris Low, Mark Schlabach and Bruce Feldman all think we're going to the Chick-Fil-A Bowl likely vs. Virginia Tech. Sportsline thinks we're still heading to Birmingham, but I just can't see that happening. Mark Bradley is waffling, but leaning towards Nashville.

The ESPN folks who think we're coming to Atlanta are basing that on the idea that Ole Miss and Tennessee are going to some combination of the Outback and the Cotton Bowls. That is likely the best case for UGA from a bowl prestige standpoint.

Here are some of the complicating factors that could make our destination murky until the final hour:
  • Cotton Bowl + SWC Relationships: It's not unreasonable for the Cotton Bowl to pass on Ole Miss making a return visit. They are allowed to slip down a notch and pick up a team like Arkansas. The Hawgs went to Dallas after the 2007 and 2001 seasons, and the bowl committee likes having the Hawgs. An Arkansas vs. Oklahoma State match-up would sell a ton of tickets. If they take the Razorbacks, the Outback would take Ole Miss. At that point, the Chick-Fil-A has to choose between UGA, SC and UT. Virginia Tech vs. Tennessee would be a very compelling game, and that could slip us to the Music City or lower.

  • Outback Bowl + UK Relationships: The founder of Outback Steakhouse is a UK Alum, and he was instrumental in developing the Outback Bowl into what it is today. He was also the key factor in bringing the 1998 Wildcat team to Tampa despite their 7-4 record, despite coming off a 59-21 blowout loss to Tennessee and despite UGA having a better record at 8-3 and a head to head win. A much easier case could be made for bringing UK in 2009 back to Tampa. They've gone the longest between visits to Tampa compared to UGA, UT and SC, and they would be fairly excited about the trip. If UK goes here and Ole Miss is in the Cotton Bowl, we're back to the Chick-Fil-A bowl choosing between UGA and UT. This could also send us to the Music City or lower. I see this as a remote possibility.
All we do know at this point is:
    1. Bama and UF are obviously BCS bound.

    2. LSU is a near mortal lock for the Capital One Bowl

    3. South Carolina isn't going to the Outback again.

    4. Ole Miss isn't slipping past the Outback.

    5. Tennessee won't slip past the Liberty or Music City (which pick simultaneously)

    6. UK is going to have problems getting into the Liberty and PapaJohn's Bowls. Those games are the same date as UK vs. Louisville in basketball with near overlapping time slots. If UK were to end up in B'ham, it would be because no one else wanted them.

    7. The Chick-Fil-A Bowl is unlikely to put together a rematch between UGA/GT or Clemson/SC.
The only bad scenarios to me are playing Northwestern in the Outback or Boston College in the Music City Bowl. Facing VT in the Chick-Fil-A, UNC or FSU in the Music City or Wisconsin in the Outback works for me.

Where do you think we end up?

PWD

19 comments:

Andrew Danger Fritze said...

I can't see us in the Peach, and it shocks me that those three guys were picking us to go there. It's gotta be Nashville for the Dawgs.

Trey said...

Its actually pretty simple to see us in Atlanta.

Anonymous said...

Arkansas has a ton of alums in the DFW area, hence the attraction there.

todd said...

We had a great game vs. VT a few years ago. But that's not a matchup I want to see. I'd rather see Tennessee who has been ducking VT for years have to play them. Had we not played them in 2006 I would like us playing them better.

I'd actually rather see us vs. UNC, Miami, or FSU in the Music City.

Seth said...

How often have the Outback and Capital One bowl both selected SEC West teams? Given the current economy, I would think that geographic proximity would be of greater importance than in years past. LSU definitely looks like Capital One, but my guess is that the Cotton would take an SEC West team this year, even if it was Ole Miss (again)--and the Outback would take an SEC East team (even if it meant taking a lower seeded team).

Anonymous said...

I think the loser of the ACC Championship game gets screwed & either Miami or VT will be in the Chick bowl against UGA.

Thats JMO*

Anonymous said...

I think the dream match up for the Chick-fil-a is Clemson UGA.

But if the Tigers beat the Jackets, I think that they will take Miami and match them up against us.

Richard said...

Most Dawg fans I know don't want to go back to Nashville. Peach Bowl would be ideal.

Anonymous said...

I want Clemson in the Chik fil a. Beating GT and Clemson in our worst year in a while would be priceless!

Anonymous said...

I would love to play Miami. So much has been said about their up an coming attitude. I think it would be a great way to solidify the fact that UGA has fallen by the way side. We need a match up that will vault us back into the national scene. I think that UGA/MIAMI or UGA/Oklahoma in the Cotton.

But I know with all the tie-ins the later is not possible. But it would be fun to watch. So I am picking UGA/MIAMI in the Music City.

Anonymous said...

I actually really want to play Boston College in the Music City for a few reasons. We have an overall tied record vs them (2-2), including a loss vs them in 2001 in Richt's rookie season. I would love to see him get revenge for that game, and it would likely be a solid win for us. We would then lead overall series with every ACC team except Wake and Maryland.

While beating Clemson has a bit more appeal, we played them in 02/03 and have an upcoming series with them. My stomach turns at the idea of potentially losing to scUM and I'd rather have a home and home with UNC than a bowl.

Anonymous said...

I think Kentucky is going to get the benefit of the doubt and not end up playing Jan 2, which means Chik-fil-a or Outback for them. They've quietly had a really good year, will be enthusiastic about traveling, and I think the SEC will honor that they don't want to bowl at the same time they're playing L'ville in hoops at Rupp.

This year, I'm just happy to be in a bowl. The wins over Tech and Auburn made the year for me, so any bowl game is gravy at this point. I can't go unfortunately, but I had to give up something so that I can make Colorado in '10.

I will say this, my bowl ticket order form had one game marked: Cotton and I'd bust my ass, drive all night, do whatever it takes, to go to Dallas.

Anonymous said...

I believe strongly the Cotton goes with the Hogs. You have obvious reasons such as Jerry, key Arkansans on the Cotton Cmte., as well as tremendous fan support anytime the Razorbacks play in Dallas. I see Ole Miss going Outback and UGA playing in the Chick. I think Auburn goes Liberty and Tennessee goes Music City. South Carolina goes Independence and UK most likely goes Birmingham. Face it, UK isn't a big draw for football.

Anonymous said...

THE TENNNESSE KENTUCKY SCORE WAS UT 30 KY 24 IN OVER TIME. THE TN 59 UK SCORE 21 IS NOT TRUE. YOU TO GET YOUR INFORMATION CORRECT BUDDY,

Anonymous said...

Actually, UK travels very well for bowl games.

Anonymous said...

I try to pay UK a compliment, and I get one of the ones who can't seem to read good.

He's talking about 1998, Einstein.

Anonymous said...

Don't overlook that Arkansas has already played once in a big-build-up game at Jerry's new stadium earlier in the year. Not sure if given that their fans might prefer an alternate site.

DavidSDawg said...

A Tech win over Clemson, screams Georgia v Clemson in the Chic-fil-A
What better than a new years eve border war with the "enemy from across the river". The only thing missing would be Larry Munson and Lewis Grizzard. Maybe Butler could [Punt] a long one, a long one, "oh my God, oh my God". Seriously, a Georgia v Clemson match up would be great.

Unknown said...

Apparently the Outback is taking Auburn.. Which means we're going to end up in Nashville

 
Copyright 2009 Georgia Sports Blog. Powered by Blogger Blogger Templates create by Deluxe Templates. WP by Masterplan