By way of a recap, here's what happened this weekend:
- The baseball team got pummeled, repeatedly, in a weekend sweep by Florida State. Imagine your worst nightmare as a baseball coach and that's what Perno got this weekend. The staff ace gave up seven earned in four innings, McRee gave up three earned and three walks without recording an out, and Cecil Tanner gave up six earned with six walks. No one outside of Johnathan Taylor on Friday night had any offensive production to note. Maybe it's the type of beating that wakes a team up, but if we play like that in conference play, it's going to be a long and sparsely attended baseball season.
- The basketball team lost one of the worst basketball games you will ever see Saturday. Both UGA and LSU shot under 37% from the field. Neither team scored a field goal for the first five and a half minutes of the game. It was 20-20 at the half. The Dawgs lost their best chance at a road win against one of the worst SEC basketball teams of recent vintage. As I've told PWD, it's literally impossible for us to win a road game. Impossible.
- The top ranked equestrian team even lost to Auburn.
- The carnage wasn't limited to current Bulldogs. John Isner, representing the USA in the Davis Cup in Serbia, lost his two singles matches. The US got beat 3-2. Isner did help get one win. When Mike Bryan got sick, Isner teamed up with Bob Bryan to win in doubles.
- To top it all off, freshman quarterback Zach Mettenberger got arrested for actin' a fool outside a bar in Remerton. Guess that three way QB battle in spring practice just went to a two way race. Just as I am amazed by what otherwise wealthy people will do for a free t-shirt at a basketball game, I am amazed at what a college student will risk for a few beers.