Why this is a big deal:
- Marshall is one of the best all around athletes in state. If Christian LeMay is good enough at QB for Coach Richt to feel comfortable offering Marshall at CB, that's an excellent sign.
- As Blutarsky pointed out this morning, Marshall is a former silent commit to GT to play QB. This is exactly the type of kid CPJ needs to land. That he'd rather play CB for us than QB for them says a lot.
- Marshall will sign his letter of intent as a football player, and he will not count against the 13 scholarship limit for the basketball team. If Trey Thompkins and Travis Leslie go pro as expected, Georgia will have 6 scholarships to give for the 2011 season. Marshall could be the seventh member of that class if Coach Fox wants to try and land a "Dream Team" of his own in the ultra stacked 2011 hoops recruiting class.
- Marshall is a Top 125 level player in the nation in basketball according to Rivals.com. He's a guy that can help Georgia at either point guard or shooting guard.
- One of Nick Marshall's closest friends on the hoops circuit is Kentavious Caldwell. Caldwell is arguably the best shooting guard in Georgia if not the entire Southeast. He's 6'6" with the ability to manufacture points by the bucketload, and he starts shooting when he gets off the bus. Last season, Georgia signed Kenarious Gates as an offensive tackle who is another close friend and former high school teammate of Caldwell's. To sign Caldwell and Marshall would establish the foundation for an elite backcourt. Especially, with Top 100 SG/SF Malcom Brogdon also very interested in the Dawgs.